Connect with us

World News

India breaks silence on Donald Trump’s new tariffs; MEA says talks with US are still on despite fresh trade move

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) says India has conveyed its position to the United States after Donald Trump announced fresh tariffs affecting multiple countries, including India.

Published

on

Dainik Diary Zaid 2026 07 24T213110.353
India says it has conveyed its position to the United States after President Donald Trump announced fresh tariffs, while confirming that bilateral trade discussions are continuing.

India has responded to US President Donald Trump’s latest announcement on fresh tariffs, making it clear that it has formally conveyed its position to the United States while reaffirming that trade discussions between the two countries remain ongoing.

Speaking on Friday, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said the government has taken note of the latest tariff measures announced by the US administration and is actively engaged in dialogue with Washington.

India acknowledges Trump’s tariff announcement

Addressing the media, the MEA confirmed that New Delhi is closely monitoring the developments after Donald Trump unveiled a new round of tariffs targeting several countries, including India.

The ministry said India has already communicated its concerns and perspective to the US side.

“We have noted the announcement made by the US President regarding tariffs. India has made its position clear to the United States, and discussions between the two countries are continuing,” the MEA said.

While the ministry did not elaborate on the specifics of the negotiations, it indicated that diplomatic and trade-level engagements remain active.

Trade negotiations remain a priority

The latest statement suggests that despite the tariff announcement, both India and the United States are continuing efforts to resolve outstanding trade issues through dialogue rather than confrontation.

Economic ties between the two countries have expanded significantly in recent years, with bilateral trade covering sectors such as pharmaceuticals, information technology, engineering goods, electronics, energy and agriculture.

ALSO READ : Why Naresh Pal Gangwar’s Appointment as Higher Education Secretary Has Sparked a Political Firestorm Amid NEET Row

Officials from both sides have been working on strengthening trade cooperation while addressing market access concerns and tariff-related disputes.

Tariffs could impact key sectors

Although the US administration has not yet disclosed the full implications of the latest tariff package, Indian exporters are closely watching developments, particularly businesses involved in manufacturing and exports to the American market.

Dainik Diary Zaid 2026 07 24T213137.833


Trade experts believe the final impact will depend on the scope of the tariffs, product categories covered and the outcome of ongoing negotiations between New Delhi and Washington.

The Indian government has so far maintained that engagement and dialogue remain the preferred path for resolving trade differences.

India adopts a measured approach

Rather than issuing a confrontational response, the MEA has signalled that India intends to continue diplomatic engagement with the United States.

The statement reflects New Delhi’s broader approach of maintaining strong strategic and economic relations with Washington while protecting India’s trade interests.

With negotiations still underway, businesses and investors will be watching closely for further announcements from both governments in the coming weeks.